Smart energy consumption and raising energy efficiency awareness in light of sustainable development measures aim at optimizing the use of natural resources to secure energy supply via extending the consumption period of energy traditional resources. This would lead to improved living conditions and would increase employment. However, realizing this goal requires rational and complementary planning of energy resources, as well as increasing energy efficiency use in all consuming sectors: such as mining, production, distribution and transport sectors or in energy end-use.sector.
Determining energy efficiency required fields needs an intensive study on energy consumption aspects in industrial, service and commercial buildings and means of inefficient energy use. Besides, specifying the means and methods to ensure access to the optimal use of energy, which will eventually lead to a lower amounts of energy consumption and reduce greenhouse effects.
Notably, the buildings sector is considered to be one of the most energy-consuming sectors. Studies show a great opportunity of optimizing energy consumption in buildings with 20% – 50%. The most important energy efficiency measures can be summarized in the following points:
- Applying energy efficiency in buildings i.e., Thermal Insulation and optimal routing of buildings and the use of high-efficiency windows, etc.
- Using energy-saving lighting instead of incandescent lighting, one of the most popular procedures in the Arab region
- Depending on high efficiency appliances that carry energy efficiency labels, especially air conditioners, which cause remarkable rise in demand for electric power, especially in summer
- Applying energy audit for buildings and facilities; which is considered as one of the most important diagnostic procedures through energy consumption and rationality can be determined
- Rationalizing energy consumption in industrial facilities, especially in electrical and heating aspects through raising boilers and steam networks efficiency, as well as improving power factor and decreasing electric motors’ consumption
- Improve the efficiency of electrical grids and reduce losses during the ongoing maintenance of transmission lines and transformers. Besides, adopting advanced metering and measuring systems.
- Using Solar Water Heaters ( SWHs)
- Raising the efficiency of water pumps used in various sectors, which is one of the biggest aspects of energy consumption, especially in residential buildings
- Reducing peak loads through technical procedures reducing the loads, and adopting multiple tariff policies, and by focusing on behavioral measures through awareness campaigns